McCarthy Unveils "A Pledge to America"
Sterling, VA – Today, Congressman Kevin McCarthy and his colleagues presented "A Pledge to America ," a new governing agenda for the nation that focuses on job creation, cutting government spending, and restoring accountability to Congress. These solutions were formed with the input from the American public through the America Speaking Out project. This legislative agenda contains immediate proposals that can be brought to the floor of Congress today, and McCarthy and his colleagues are calling on the Speaker to bring them to the floor for a vote.
Below are the opening remarks by Congressman McCarthy at a press conference unveiling "A Pledge to America":
"The document we release today finally answers the question tens of millions of Americans are asking ... will we leave to our children a stronger, healthier, more prosperous country than our parents left us? As we stand here before you, the future of our country hangs in the balance. Across this great nation, mothers and fathers wonder if their children will find the same opportunities for success that existed just a generation ago.
"Can you blame them? As a result of the economically disastrous policies of the current administration, millions of Americans are out of work today, and our children will be saddled with a deficit and debt that is -- by every definition -- out of control.
"We have more people depending on food stamps to feed their families than at any other point in history. The economy is so dire that one in six Americans has to rely on government assistance for financial support. One in six. The land of opportunity has become the land of shrinking prosperity.
"Americans across the country are outraged, and so are we. Just as John Hancock boldly signed his name to the Declaration of Independence so that even Britain's King George could read it, I want to say this slowly so there is no room for misinterpretation...
"Our government has failed us.
"From the billion-dollar bailouts to the stimulus package that failed to stimulate to the government takeover of health care, you've cried "STOP!"...but the Democratic Majority in Washington has refused to listen.
"Well we are here today to tell you that we've been listening, and we've heard you. We've heard you loud and clear, and we assure you there is nothing more inspiring than the common voice of the common man.
"When you said wanted a prosperous, competitive economy, we heard you.
"When you said you wanted a more accountable government, we heard you.
"When you said you wanted to repeal the health care bill, we heard you.
"We know that you want a government dedicated to working for the people, and that's why we've written this pledge to America, our solemn commitment to serving you. This pledge isn't about Republicans or Democrats, liberals or conservatives – it's about you.
"We pledge to you that we will create jobs, end economic uncertainty, and make America more competitive. We will cut wasteful Washington spending and reduce the size of government. And we will reform Congress and restore your trust in government.
"We pledge to uphold the model for our country our founders envisioned: a grander America, the exception among the nations of the earth, where promise of liberty refreshes the hopes of mankind. And if our current troubles have somewhat dimmed the lights of that "shining city on a hill," we pledge to recharge them. They will not go out on our watch.
"More than 60 percent of Americans believe our country is headed down the wrong path. They're right. This pledge is a governing agenda that we will pursue today in order to turn the country around and put it back on the right track.
"We are optimists. We firmly believe we live in a land of great promise and great possibilities...a land where – until recently, our tomorrows have held more promise than our yesterdays.
"And we are not ready to concede the fight for the prosperity of our country. We refuse to believe that the same American dream that shone so brightly for our parents has dimmed for our children. We must reverse our current course of action and reject the economically poisonous policies of the Democratic Majority. We will take back our country and restore our right to a better future.
"This, we pledge to you."
"A Pledge to America" can be downloaded in PDF format at https://pledge.gop.gov
NOTE: The preamble to "A Pledge to America" reaffirms Republicans' commitment to principles of smaller, more accountable government; economic freedom; lower taxes; fiscal responsibility; protecting life, American values, and the Constitution; and providing for a strong national defense. This new governing agenda is comprised of five specific policy plans that could be implemented right now if President Obama and Democratic Leaders would allow it:
• Creating Jobs. "A Pledge to America" reflects Americans' demand for immediate action on policies that will end uncertainty for small businesses and help our economy get back to creating jobs. This new governing agenda contains a plan to create jobs, end economic uncertainty, and make America competitive – including stopping all tax hikes, reining in red tape, and repealing ObamaCare's '1099 mandate.'
• Cutting Spending. "A Pledge to America" embodies Americans' rejection of the now-thoroughly discredited notion that we can simply tax, spend, and borrow our way to prosperity. This new governing agenda contains a plan to cut spending and reduce the size of government – including cutting government spending to pre-'stimulus', pre-bailout levels, imposing a hard cap on future discretionary spending, and ending TARP once and for all.
• Reforming Congress. "A Pledge to America" acknowledges that we cannot get our arms around the issues of the day when we have a government that refuses to listen to the people and ignores their priorities. This new governing agenda contains a plan to reform Congress and restore trust – including implementing 'read the bill' reform, allowing for more open and fair debate, and requiring that every bill contain a citation of Constitutional authority.
• Repealing and Replacing The Job-Killing Health Care Law. "A Pledge to America" recognizes that the American people continue to squarely oppose the government takeover of health care, with its higher costs, higher taxes, job-killing mandates, and Medicare cuts to pay for a massive new entitlement. This new governing agenda contains a plan to repeal and replace the job-killing health care law with common-sense reforms focused on lowering costs and protecting American jobs.
• A Strong National Defense. "A Pledge to America" reinforces Congress's responsibility to help provide for a strong national defense and determine a coherent strategy to confront and defeat the terrorist threat. This new governing agenda contains a plan to keep our nation secure at home and abroad – including passing clean troop funding bills, keeping terrorists off American soil, and fully funding missile defense.