McCarthy’s Efforts Lead to SBA Assistance for Kern and San Bernardino Counties Following the Ridgecrest Earthquakes
Yesterday, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) approved the State of California and Governor’s Office of Emergency Services’ (Cal OES) request for an SBA disaster declaration for Kern and San Bernardino Counties following the July earthquakes in Ridgecrest, California. This announcement comes only days after Congressman Kevin McCarthy sent a letter to the SBA in support of the request.
McCarthy released the following statement:
“The resilient communities in Ridgecrest, Kern County, and San Bernardino County continue to work toward rebuilding their homes following last month’s destructive earthquakes. Yesterday’s announcement is reassuring news and could not have come at a more crucial time. The disaster declaration will make critical SBA assistance programs available to earthquake victims, helping homeowners and local businesses return to a semblance of normalcy. I thank the Trump Administration and SBA Acting Administrator Chris Pilkerton for their swift approval of this request.”
- On July 4th and July 5th, two large earthquakes hit Ridgecrest, California, and since then, more than 1,400 aftershocks have occurred.
- On August 5, 2019, the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services Director Mark Ghilarducci requested, on behalf of Governor Gavin Newsom, that the SBA make a disaster declaration following the July earthquakes in Ridgecrest.
- Subsequently, Congressman McCarthy worked with the State to send a letter to SBA Acting Administrator Pilkerton in support of the State of California’s request to declare Kern County and San Bernardino County disaster areas. The letter can be viewed here.
- The SBA issued a disaster declaration for Kern, Tulare, San Bernardino, Inyo, Kings, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura Counties in California on August 7, 2019. An SBA Disaster Loan Outreach Center will open to the public on August 9, 2019, in Ridgecrest, California, at the Kerr McGree Center (100 W California Avenue).
- More information about the SBA disaster declaration for the July earthquakes in Ridgecrest can be viewed here and here.