Congressman McCarthy Announces 2011 Merit Award Recipients for San Luis Obispo County
Congressman Kevin McCarthy today announced the recipients of the 2011 Congressman Kevin McCarthy Merit Award.
"Our children are our future, and the achievements and accomplishments of the high school students who are receiving merit awards today give me great confidence that our community and our country have a bright future ahead," said Congressman McCarthy. "This award was designed to recognize and honor students who have gone above and beyond, and these recipients have certainly done that. I am proud of every single one of today's recipients and I'm looking forward to watching their success in future endeavors."
The recipients are:
- Mr. Yosef Diab – Arroyo Grande High School
- Mr. Brett Buckingham – Atascadero High School
- Mr. Joseph Harter – Coastal Christian School
- Miss Teale Harden – North County Christian School
- Miss Kyleigh De Petro – Paso Robles High School
- Mr. Javier Rivera, Jr. – Shandon High School
- Miss Miranda Wall –Templeton High School
The Congressman Kevin McCarthy Merit Award was created to recognize outstanding high school students who have demonstrated exemplary school citizenship, volunteerism, community service, involvement in extracurricular activities, leadership skills and have earned a GPA of 3.5 or higher. Earlier this year, high school principals were invited to select one outstanding graduating senior per school to receive the Congressman Kevin McCarthy Merit Award.