Congressman Kevin McCarthy Announces $258.2 Million for the Isabella Lake Dam Safety Modification Project
Congressman Kevin McCarthy released the following statement announcing the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers decision to provide $258,231,000 in funding for the Isabella Lake Dam Safety Modification Project:
“Today’s announcement marks another major win for the future of the City of Bakersfield, Kern County, and the communities of the Kern River Valley. Since coming to Congress, I have fought to secure over $200 million for this critical dam safety project, and was pleased the Army Corps broke ground on this project in April. Today’s announcement of funding means, combined with the $118 million included in the House-passed Fiscal Year 2019 Energy and Water Development Appropriations bill, this project has the necessary funding to proceed to completion. This project will result in increased flood protection for communities below the reservoir, as well as increase water storage and recreational benefits.
"I want to commend President Trump and the Army Corps of Engineers for their commitment to revitalizing America’s infrastructure and understanding our community’s needs. But most importantly, the Lake Isabella Project would not be moving forward without the persistence, support, and leadership of community stakeholders in Bakersfield, Kern County, Kernville, and Lake Isabella. While there is much yet to be done, including securing the final funds for this project in Fiscal Year 2019, I look forward to continuing to work in partnership with the Amy Corps and community leaders to bring this much-needed project tocompletion.”
· In February 2018, Congress passed and the President signed into law the Bipartisan Budget Act (Public Law 115-123), which provided over $15 billion in funding to the Army Corps of Engineers to construct flood and storm damage reduction projects, such as the Isabella Lake Dam Safety Modification Project.
· The Army Corps of Engineers held a groundbreaking ceremony to mark the beginning of the construction of the Isabella Project on April 3, 2018.
· A list of all the projects provided funding by the Army Corps of Engineers can be viewed here. The Isabella Lake project is listed as “Lake Isabella, CA.”
· The Army Corps of Engineers’ Fiscal Year 2019 budget requests to Congress seeks $118 million for the Isabella Lake Project.
· On June 8, 2018, the House passed the Fiscal Year 2019 Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act, which included $118 million for the Isabella Lake Project.
· Once the Fiscal Year 2019 appropriations bills are enacted into law, the $118 million combined with the $258.2M from the Bipartisan Budget Act will fully fund the Isabella Lake Project.