Ridgecrest Daily Independent: Heidi Yi Among McCarthy Merit Award Winners
Ridgecrest, Calif. — Congressman Kevin McCarthy announced the recipients of the 2011 Congressman Kevin McCarthy Merit Award in East Kern and Los Angeles Counties.
Included among them was Burroughs High School student Heidi Yi.
"These awards are about more than grades and academic performance; they are about the character of these students, their commitment to their community and the values they uphold," said Congressman McCarthy. "These accomplished young men and women give me confidence that our brightest days are ahead of us, and I am proud to present each of them a merit award to honor their hard work."
The recipients are:
- Mr. Joshua Core – Boron High School
- Miss Heidi Yi – Sherman E. Burroughs High School
- Miss Samantha Spellman – California City High School
- Miss Taylor Steele – Desert High School
- Miss Rachel Sparks – Desert Christian High School
- Miss Rabia Karimi – Lancaster High School
- Miss Elizabeth Avalos – Mojave High School
- Mr. Robert Nelson – Paraclete High School
- Miss Randi Hensley – Rosamond High School
The Congressman Kevin McCarthy Merit Award was created to recognize outstanding high school students who have demonstrated exemplary school citizenship, volunteerism, community service, involvement in extracurricular activities, leadership skills and have earned a GPA of 3.5 or higher.
Earlier this year, high school principals were invited to select one outstanding graduating senior per school to receive the Congressman Kevin McCarthy Merit Award.